From 1904 to 1943, at the time when the Palace was being used as a Hotel, its clientele was able to enjoy pleasant boat trips on the central lake. There was water shooting out of spouts and jets in which water games could be played. Sometimes couples that were hoping to take refuge from prying eyes, taking their leisurely trip around the “fortress” would get sprayed. These are still features on the lake today and can be enjoyed by our present visitors. Water is fed into the lake by a large waterfall designed by José Berardo and it is bordered at the rear by an aqueduct that also used to provide water.
It is now home to the swans and ducks but visitors may sit and share the peaceful tranquillity of these surroundings with them.